Friday, August 20, 2010

Whole Wheat Rolls

I never thought I'd find a home-made roll where I liked the taste and texture. I was wrong. These rolls are so soft. They are perfect - and don't have any oil or animal products OR high fructose corn syrup OR hydrogenated oils. Amazing! They are perfect veggie sandwich rolls too or they fit in just right with a savory Sunday meal comprised of mashed potatoes and gravy.

2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup Sunsweet Lighter Bake (you can find this at WinCo - it an oil/butter substitute - if using butter, use 1 cup)
2-3 egg replacer substitute - I like flax meal - use 3 heaping TBSP flax meal, 6 TBSP water and allow to sit for 5 minutes
2 Tablespoons yeast
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
6 cups whole wheat flour

In a bowl, pour boiling water over honey. Mix and allow to cool. Soften yeast in 1/3 cup water, then add to bowl along with Sunsweet Lighter Bake and the egg replacer mixture. Add baking powder, sea salt, and one cup of flour, and beat with a spoon. Stir in remaining flour and let rise for two hours.

Shape into rolls and put in greased pans. Allow to rise until light. Bake 15-20 minutes at 400*F. This makes 3-4 pans of rolls depending on the size. We like larger rolls for sandwiches, so it makes 2 pans for us.

1 comment:

  1. Eden I'm so glad you told me about your blog. You have so many great recipes with instructions that even someone like myself can understand. It was great to visit with you today. I look forward to learning from you.

    ReplyDelete